Tuesday, October 6, 2009

food for thought

Hi Folks,
Not sure this is the way to promote discussion but I will give it a try this way. If as Rev. Guy tells us the bible was taken literally only since the 19th century what was burning Joan of Arc about and what was the Inquisition about? Why were they taking things so literally? If these actions were merely in response to church dogma who was reading the bible metaphorically at that time? Any thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. I think those activities were politally rather than spiritually inspired. Lots of things go on in the name of religion even to this day that have nothing to do with God's divine plan. The ego craves power and control, and will use the excuse of religious dogma to further its goals. Anyway, that's my opinion...

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Judy. Just wondered who was reading it metaphysically because this still sounds literal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scholars and theologians read and interpret the bible. Others read it literally, especially when it favors whatever position they want to further. I think it is my job to learn the meaning behind the words in the Bible so that I can teach others the lessons that are really there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thoughts. I guess I was thinking it was an either or situation. You either read it metaphorically or or you read it literally. I see now people read it literally or not at all. Only in times long long past did anyone read it metaphorically. Maybe they never did. Maybe they only told it metaphorically before it was ever written down.

    ReplyDelete